Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88 woodworker88 is offline

Default Fixing oversized gear issues?

On Feb 11, 5:10 am, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article
,

woodworker88 wrote:
The main problem is manifesting itself in that the low quality pinions
seem to be slightly over the correct pitch diameter, making proper
meshing difficult. Furthermore, the pitch diameter seems to vary
along their length, which makes it difficult to be consistent across
the 8 different gearbox parts.

First option - bite the bullet and order some good ones, even if it
means boring them out yourself.

Second - set up a sacrificial good gear and the 8 pinions in a dedicated
grinding setup, apply abrasive, and run for a while - but this requires
disassembly, reassembly, "cut and try" and building a new fixture, and
getting another good gear. If I understand grinding theory correctly, a
softer "good gear" material should embed the abrasive and grind the "bad
gears".

Alright, I was thinking about doing that. I can bore out new ones,
but what would you suggest doing about the 2mm keyway? The new
pinions are a press fit onto the motor shafts (the old ones had
setscrews) and they seem to be holding, although those are still also
keyed as well.
Thanks, ww88