Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Radon stuff

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:52:41 -0500, john wrote:

I posted awhile ago about the cracks in my basement and stuff. Well I
finally removed the carpets and sealed up the cracks with a polyeurothane
based caulk. I also used a Radon Seal (clear liquid based solution) over
the entire foundation.

My radon levels are better but not by much. My long term reading (over a
month) is averaging around 4.5 pCi/L . I have a radon monitoring gadget I
bought to measure these levels. (Safety Siren Pro 3)

My question is... Is it possible I could get away with just installing a
Radon Fan since my levels arent too way? Anything over 4.0 is considered
not safe. I have a radiant heating system...so they cant drill down into
my basement to install anything. Im also thinking about getting a
fireplace installed since I have everything stripped down in my basement.
Maybe I should have the fireplace installed first ? Maybe they will have an
alternate solution to the radon fan or will be able to install it themselves
when they make the opening for the fireplace ? Im just hoping I could get
away with just needing a fan for this solution.

Eventually im going to install Pergo wood flooring down there, so that in
itself my help the levels a little aswell. (by the way I dont have any
water problems down there in the basement..even when it rains alot)

Any expertise is appreciated.

John

You didn't mention anything about a sump pump. That is where Radon enters
the basement.

In Iowa I just sold a house and the radon levels were too high. Despite
the ease of installing a venting system I was required by law to have it
professionally installed for $1500 for less than $200 worth of equipment.
If I had installed it before the inspection I could have done it myself.

Government governs best when it governs least.