Rex B

Default Muffle bathroom vent fan?

On 12 Jul 2004 10:46:20 -0700, (Jeridiah) wrote:

||Any ideas on how to muffle a bathroom type vent fan? I tried it out
||at the store and it wasn't too bad, but after getting it installed at
||home, this thing is almost deafening. The drone of this is incredibly
||obnoxious.
||For reference - fan is 8" with a baffle rated at 180CFM and 6.5
||sonnes. Can I place some sort of smooth venturi type restriction in
||the exhaust side of the fan to quiet this down a little. I don't need
||this much airflow.

Mask the impeller
Depending on what shape the fan and motor is, you may be able to fasten a thin
disk of plastic or aluminum (metal content) to the face of the housing or even
the blade to remove some of the blade surface. It might be more effective to
make a large "washer" to mask of the outer inch or so of the fan (front or back)
since that's there the highest speed is and probably the source of most of the
noise.
Texas Parts Guy