Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Best prank to date! Oh, there be metal!

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:34:16 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

Probably out of some 8" hard drives from Sun or SGI
workstations, or similar high-end gear from the mid 90's.

Been inside a lot of Sun and SGI gear since 1990, never seen an 8" hard
drive in either of the types. The best drives for magnets are the old
full-height 5-1/4" form factor hard drives - Wren IV through Wren VII
models come to mind. The platters (aluminum) make great windchimes if
you're into that sort of thing, as well.

I got a bunch of Seagate Sabre V IPI-2 drives. They are massive
blocks of aluminum with roughly 8" platters. They were off Sun
machines, but may well have been pre-90's. I've been salvaging
them mostly for the aluminum housings, but saved the motors,
magnets, platters, etc.

Jon