Posted to alt.home.repair
J[_2_] J[_2_] is offline

Default electric dryer not drying so fast

Update: I've taken apart the dryer and have found four or five overloads.
I've check the resistance and none are opened. I've also check the
resistance of the heater element and I suspect it is also ok (read 20ohms I
think. Besides, I am getting heat and it doesn't appear that there are any
separate circuits going to multiple elements). The dryer is an "Estate by
Whirlpool" model and I haven't found a manual online anywhere.

At this point, I suspect it's one of the following:

1. There is not proper air flow which the heating element to overheat,
causing an overload to shut it off (until it cools down). If this is the
case, I would prefer an easy way to clean out the vent duct without damaging
it. How can I do this?

2. One of the overloads is defective and is cutting off power before
necessary. Running the dryer with the panel off and checking the voltage
drop across the overloads would probably be the only way to check for this.

Any further help is much appreciated.

"J" wrote in message
Our electric dryer isn't drying as quick as it had in the past, but
eventually it does dry. Once in the past a repairman came out and cleaned
out the exhaust line and it began drying much better. Therefore I went
outside while it was running and from the amount of air, it appears that
the air is unimpeded. What could be the problem? Should I try to look
inside the dryer for more clues? Are dryers simple to get into?

Thanks.