Posted to alt.home.repair
Furnace Guy Furnace Guy is offline

Default Home heating / furnace help

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 22:22:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I think the furnace is operating properly. Maybe I wasnt specific
enough about its operation.

If the house is warm the furnace blows cool air. Once the temperature
drops below the set thermostat level the blower stops for a short
time(seconds). Then the furnace ignites. Then blower comes back on and
blows warm air until the house is heated. It was my limited
understanding that this is how newer furnaces work. They have a
continous airflow(well almost continous..theres a short break just
before ignition). This makes sense to me for summer operation. The
house can be somewhat cooled by drawing cool air from the basement and
circulating it. It doesnt make sense in the winter.

The filter is new. I replace it every few months.

That is NOT how a furnace works. With the thermostat fan switch (which
you don't have) set to auto it goes like this:

Call for heat, inducer motor comes on, pressure switch makes, limit
switche checked and if closed then ignition happens, burners fire and
aprox 90 seconds later the indoor blower comes on. Once the
thermostat is satisfied the burners go off and the indoor blower goes
off aprox 90 seconds later. If your indoor blower is staying on when
there is no call for heat AND the thermostat setting has been met then
you have a bad fan limit switch if your furnace is older or a bad fan
relay.