Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 and Dickson Toolpost

In article ,
Wes wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Then, I could no longer install the cast iron screw cover that protects
the cross-slide nut and screw from swarf. The problem is that with
wear, the gib goes deeper than originally needed, so the rear gib
adjustment screw sticks out and interferes with the cover. So, I milled
a pocket out of the cover sidewall to accommodate the gib screw.

Now, the rocking under cutting loads

You might consider supergluing some shim stock on the non-sliding side of
gib. I used that trick on my BP knee gib to get a bit more adjustment.

If you ever want to remove the shim, 250F in your oven and the adhesive will
release. Won't hurt the gib.

Hmm. That's a thought. I may need to do this with the cross-slide gib
as well. Epoxy would also work, and gives more time for positioning.

Joe Gwinn