Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 and Dickson Toolpost

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
To counteract the slow rotation of the toolpost while doing cutoffs, a
machined a 1018 steel plate to go between the 5914 tool post slide (on
the cross slide) and the Dickson toolpost. The plate has a ridge on the
bottom, the ridge being a slip fit into the T-slot on the cross slide,
and two holes. One hole is clearance for the 5/18-18 rod that bolts the
toolpost to the cross slide, the other accepting the anti-rotation index
pin.

[snip]

Also on the list is to make the 1.25" diameter center pivot sleeve that
goes over the 5/8-18 threaded rod and between the ridged plate and the
toolpost, to better locate the toolpost. Right now there is only the
threaded rod, which the toolpost fits loosely. Also needed is to
machine a recess in the ridged plate to accept the pivot.

As I work, I see more and more of how things were supposed to be, versus
how they now are.

Joe Gwinn

Sounds like you're not doing the nut down tight enough to hold the
Dickson toolpost in place or the base is not sitting on the compound but
maybe being held off it by something. I have never had an issue with my
Dickson toolpost moving even when the locating pin was not in use.

I did crank it down pretty hard, using a 15/16" box wrench a foot long.
Under ordinary cuts (with tool close to the axis for the threaded rod),
no problem. With the cutoff blade (with tool an inch farther from the
center), slow rotation. The mating surfaces on toolpost bottom and
cross-slide top are pretty smooth, and properly oily.

I assume that originally the toolpost came with a big cylindrical post
nut with a ball-headed arm, for rapid clamping and release, so one could
rotate any of the three holders into position. Having to really bear
down on the clamp arm would soon wear the operator out, not to mention
wear the threads out.

So I just drilled a hole to accept the pin.

I've never seen what this toolpost is supposed to look like, and to
include, and have been guessing. Can you suggest a URL that leads to a
good photo or two? Thanks.

Joe Gwinn