Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff Errol Groff is offline

Default lathe accident link..... It will make you sick if you look at the pics

Nice looking hammer Jeff.

The NEMES show is next Saturday, hope to see you there!

Errol Groff

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:18:48 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Clark Magnuson wrote:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Sickenly sad viewing experience.

But it reminded me that:

I got lucky about 60 years ago when I was in a middle school machine
shop class and was using a flat file to smooth the handle for my "hammer
project" while it was spinning between centers in a lathe.

I didn't pay attention to what I was doing and the left sleeve of the
long sleeved shop coat I was wearing snagged the lathe dog screw head.

One of those angels who almost (but not always) look out for teenagers
must have liked me because all that happened was that the coat's sleeve
ripped off and wound around the dog, without harming me at all.

Why the Hell the instructor let us wear those shop coats with long
sleeves I'll never understand.

I never forgot that experience and that's probably why to this date I
can't remember any time I've injured myself working with rotating machinery.

The shop class hammer project got completed OK, and I still have it
hanging in my basement workshop:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/hammer1.jpg

J.R. Williams devoted one of his "Bull Of The Woods" cartoons to this
subject:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/BW001.jpg

Jeff

P.S. I've got about 50 "Bull Of The Woods" cartoons on my drive. If
there's one in particular you remember and would like a copy of describe
it in an email to me. If I have it, it's yours.