Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bugrock@gmail.com is offline

Default Home heating / furnace help

On Feb 9, 10:35*pm, wrote:
Hi

I know nothing about furnaces but something about the way my furnace
works doesnt makes sense to me and I was wondering if someone could
give me an explanation...

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 58WAV furnace. It blows air
continuously. From visual inspection it looks like it draws air from
the basement. It cycles between warm and cool air. The problem is
where I live in the winter it gets extremely cold(can get as cold as
minus 40 degrees). The house is very old and the basement is very
cold. *So the furnace cycles between very warm and very cold air which
is very uncomfortable and I can't imagine it being very efficient. Is
this a normal setup for a furnace? This is my 1st home and Ive only
lived here for 1 winter so I know very little about this stuff. I
remember my parents furnace didnt blow air continously. It only blew
air on the warm cycle. That seems to make much more sense to me than
cycling between very cold and warm air.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Dennis

After doing some digging around it would seem that some furnaces have
two modes...Fan "On" and "Auto". Theres no mention of it in the
furnace manual but Im starting to suspect my furnace has this option
that can be set from the thermostat. The problem is my thermostat is
one of those old kind with the mercury tube in it. No fan settings.
Maybe the previous owner upgraded the furnace but not the thermostat.
There's only two wires travelling from the furnace to the thermostat
so even if I had a newer thermostat with a fan setting, there arent an
fan wires to connect it too. Is it possible my furnace is stuck in
"ON" mode?