Posted to alt.home.repair
Furnace Guy Furnace Guy is offline

Default Home heating / furnace help

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:35:21 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi

I know nothing about furnaces but something about the way my furnace
works doesnt makes sense to me and I was wondering if someone could
give me an explanation...

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 58WAV furnace. It blows air
continuously. From visual inspection it looks like it draws air from
the basement. It cycles between warm and cool air. The problem is
where I live in the winter it gets extremely cold(can get as cold as
minus 40 degrees). The house is very old and the basement is very
cold. So the furnace cycles between very warm and very cold air which
is very uncomfortable and I can't imagine it being very efficient. Is
this a normal setup for a furnace? This is my 1st home and Ive only
lived here for 1 winter so I know very little about this stuff. I
remember my parents furnace didnt blow air continously. It only blew
air on the warm cycle. That seems to make much more sense to me than
cycling between very cold and warm air.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Dennis

You need to watch what the furnace does. Sounds like it's cycling on
the high limit switch (meaning the burners fire, the system over
heats, the burners goe off on the limit switch, the blower stays on,
the furnace cools of, the furnace fires, repeat cycle.). make sure you
filter is clean and ALL of your vents are open.