Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default grinding KSS-240a laser assembly

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 13:24:12 GMT, Tim Schwartz
put finger to keyboard and composed:

wrote:
My Sega CD, which uses the KSS-240a laser assembly, makes a spine
chilling sound when it gets warm.. I believe it to be a cogwheel is
expanding when it warms up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U55FF7NLgn4

Any ideas on how to actually fix this? The system gets no hotter than
it normally does...

Hello,

One other thought that others have not mentioned. I've seen a failure
of the clock circuit being fed to the mechanism fail and cause the laser
sled to go flying to the outside if the disc and the sled drive will
keep going. If left in this condition, it will actually grind the rack
on the laser to bits.

Wasn't the KSS-240A also susceptible to oscillation problems and
wasn't there a kit that fixed this?

- Franc Zabkar