Robert Swinney

Default Which machine?

It's kind of a toss-up, but generally people tend to go for the lathe first.
I did it sort of differently, myself. My first major machine purchase was a
small lathe and mill pair (individual pieces, though). Then later, I got a
large lathe (13 x 40), 2 mills and a 20 inch drill press.

If starting over, I think I would take a serious look at one of the 3-in-one
combos in the largest size and best brand I could afford. That way,
threre'd be a little more machine "capacity" than the tiny lathe and mill
pair I started off with. IMO, a 3-in-one would launch you into machine work
in good style. Besides, you'd be so happy to get away from hand tools it
would take a while before you began to notice the deficiencies.

Bob Swinney

"Bullfrog" wrote in message
Say guys, I'm tired of hand tools and want to get a real machine tool
besides my drill press. Strictly hobby and shop. Which would you buy

first,
a lath or a mill?

Thanks for any input.