Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Clothes washer caused interior flood!

Sky wrote:
Hello folks,

I don't typically ready this newsgroup, but due to a recent fiasco, I've
subscribed for the time-being. My clothes washing machine malfunction
and caused an interior flood in my home, I'd like to learn as much as I
can. Luckily, homeowner's insurance will cover the damage except for
the deductible/excess.

The washing machine kept filling, and filling, and overfilling, and
overfilling . . . . y'all get the picture! Luckily, spouse and I were
home when this happened, but there was still a lot of accumulated water
damage all the same, which could have been much worse had we not been
home. Turns out the faulty part was the water intake valve where the
hoses attach to the washing machine.

Anywho, there's substantial repair work to be done -- the estimate is
now nearly US$20K due to replacement for drywall, subfloor, carpet,
vinyl flooring, paint, removal of wallpaper, etc. Perhaps it's time for
some pitas (food), oh wait - I meant PITA (not food) G. All vinyl
flooring has already been removed, and the w/w carpeting will be
completely replaced except for a couple bedrooms upstairs. The washing
machine is on the first floor.

I'm not sure that I have any specific question(s), but what the heck
should I look for considering this scenario I've described? What should
I know/learn? I've never gone through anything like this before, thank
goodness! Luckily, I have "replacement value" for insurance (knock on
wood!). TIA.

Sky, who dislikes choosing things for 'decorating'!

P.S. The silver-lining in this cloud is I get to get rid of the
gahd-awful wallpapers in the kitchen & bathroom!!!!!

Sorry about your experience... one thing I would do if you haven;t
already is get someone involved in the cleanup right away; I had a
similar issue with the water heater in my garage shortly after moving
in. I caught it almost immediately and the only damage was to the
drywall ceiling downstairs, but my ins. co. insisted on sending out some
remediation people and they set up two industrial sized dehumidifiers
and fans, one upstairs and one downstairs, and they left them there for
two weeks until all the framing etc. was dry enough for their liking.
You don't want to have a mold issue down the road!

Sounds like you don't have a floor drain in your laundry room. I would
definitely have it redone with a membrane under tile and a nice big drain.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.