Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Engine repair (?) mystery

Ken Sterling wrote:
The patient is a Homelite generator with an 8hp Briggs engine. From the
number of repair shop stickers on it, one would guess that it had been
professionally maintained. I removed the carburetor to clean it, and
discovered that the choke had been disabled by cutting off the lever
arm, center punching the shaft to deform metal to fix the choke in the
open position, and filing the shaft flush with the carbruetor body. The
remaining shaft on the lever arm was also filed flat, and the tension
screw on the arm was used to attach the lever arm to the carb body to
give the appearance of the choke being operational. The workmanship on
what was done is good. But why would anyone do it? There would be many
other ways to lock the choke open without sawing anything.

All I can imagine is an old guy putting it back together saying "this'll
make em scratch their heads".

I'm down to to the basement to make up a choke extention.

Kevin Gallimore

Possibly vibration was a problem, making the choke go closed - and a
fix would be to lock the chock open and simply close off the air
intake for starting.?? ?? ??
Ken.

Well , I don't know Jack about Homelite's , but my MAXA is dead . For
now , at least . Old unit , that I got when my dad passed . It has never
idled down properly, always surged under light/no load . It uses a
Tecumseh 8hp motor , and I always figured it was a blocked idle/low
speed passage .It's never been an issue , since it is usually under at
least 50% load when in use . Last time I tested it (too long ago ...)
it ****ed the gas out almost as fast as I poured it in . Turns out the
float is holed , so I went ahead and put the kit I bought (also too long
ago ...) in the carb. Fer sure there's no blocked passages now ! Too
bad that in a city this size (Memphis Tn.) you can't buy a replacement
float after noon on a Saturday .
Assuming I can make it to the small engine place before they close
Monday ...
--
Snag , now why did I feel the need to fix that genset TODAY ?