Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Anyone playing with their Kill - A - Watt meter

wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:37:12 -0500, George
wrote:

. Data I have collected shows that
a minimally used typical computer uses the same amount of energy in 15
hours as used by an electric dryer used to dry a typical load.

I was working on a dryer yesterday (GE) and I had my clamp on ammeter
on the leads watching the load. The motor side pulls a tad over 25a
and the heat only side pulls 22 and change (when the heater is on).
When the heat cycles off you only have the 3 and change on the motor
side. The heat is not on for the whole drying cycle. In fact, when it
is in "automatic dry" the timer only runs when the heat is off. The
thermostat is in the exhaust air stack and when the clothes are wet
the air is too cool to make the stat.
My PC, flat monitor ethernet switch, KVM switch, external modem,
speakers, DSL modem, RF transmitter, ink jet printer and scanner pull
between 1.5 and 1.85a depending on what I am doing.

Exactly, someone trying to rationalize something can really come to a
bogus conclusion without considering actual data. Excluding space
conditioning most household electrical energy consumption (and waste)
comes from the small things not the high wattage devices such as a dryer
or toaster. As they say slow and steady wins the race and it is very
true for the energy consumption race.