Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Anyone playing with their Kill - A - Watt meter

" wrote in
:

On Feb 8, 8:57�pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Jim Redelfs wrote
innews:jim.redelfs-A9A9B

:

I haven't regularly shut down my computers for 15 years.

Have you HAD the same PC for 15 years?? No.

I shut mine down nightly;electrolytic caps in the power supply and
motherboard eventually degrade,their ESRs rise and put more strain
on the PS until something fails.
also,the bearings in the cooling fans wear out.
This PC I'm using had the microprocessor fan load the PS to where it
would not start.
A surplus fan from Skycraft cured that for $8.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

frequent shutdowns lead to hard drive failures..........

define "frequent".

Hard drives wear out bearings,too.
and if your PC is "ON",any power loss harms the data on the
HDs,damages the disc surfaces when the head crashes on them.

Funny; I haven't yet noticed anyone discovering that by default or by
power settings, most machines shut down the monitor, disk drives, etc.;
everyone assumes everything is actually running 24/7. Anyone with a
decent UPS can easily see what they're using for running power; the
specs usually give the rest.

Lots of "assumers" and "me too" ers here today. Guessers, in other
words, trying to sound like know it alls.

IT's just too obvious a thing to be able to figure out for most any
thinking person.
--

Closed minds close doors