Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] blackevilweredragon@gmail.com is offline

Default grinding KSS-240a laser assembly

On Feb 9, 2:02 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
After playing with the game console last night (and falling asleep,
lol), I noticed a trend... It's grinding gears isn't so intermittent
as I thought.

Batman and Robbin: When going from the title screen to the Options
menu, it grinds gears. Also when going from Options to Title Screen,
it also grinds gears.
Sonic CD: In Time Trial screen, selecting a level grinds gears as
soon as it starts to load a level.

Oddly, all three times it grinds gears on "command", was when it was
playing a CD audio redbook track, and went to reading data (on track
"1")..

This is leading me to confusion, because home switch is fine, i tested
it, resoldered it, cleaned it, and it seems that it's the action of
throwing the laser closer to the spindle... (the start of the
movement, not the "stopping")..

Well, I guess it's just when the thing needs to move the sled somewhere else
in a hurry. The play in the gears allows them to slip momentarily as the
motor tries to accelerate the optical block. I wouldn't say that it is any
kind of real 'mystery' to lose sleep over. Just find some replacement gears,
or tilt the motor, and I'm sure it will be fine.

Arfa

Ahh, that did it.. When the Sega CD is tilted slightly clockwise, the
grinding stops completely..

I will hunt gears then..

Thanks!