Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony 36" TV with impure lower-right corner

On Feb 9, 11:25*am, jakdedert wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message
news
hr(bob) wrote:

OK - what I would try next is turning the bulk eraser on and off in the
same position that it was when you caused the problem, to see what
happens. *If it was the bulk eraser that casued the problem, something
should change. *If nothing changes, then maybe there is something else
magnetized somewhere else in the set. Is it possible something got
magnetized and then moved so that it is no longer affected by the bulk
eraser? Have you pulled the back to see if anything seems out of
place?

What you're suggesting is to repeat the same thing which he (and I)
suspect damaged the tube in the first place--abruptly and possibly
permanently flexing the shadow mask. The possibility exists that he
could make it even worse. Unless concentrated degaussing of the area
makes some improvement, internal damage is about the only possibility.

I hadn't thought of that. The bulk eraser runs about a minute before it cuts
out, possibly longer if I leave it in the freezer overnight. Perhaps a hair
of the dog that bit the set might work...

I'm not a TV tech...don't even play one on the internet; but I do know
that bulk erasers put out a pretty hefty field. *I'd go for something
with a little less flux that you could keep on longer...and keep it
moving. *The Weller soldering gun somebody mentioned is what I've used
for 'spot' degaussing.

jak- Hide quoted text -

If the bulk eraser will stay on for even 20 secondds, that is enough
to turn it on, move it around the area of the tv where it was before,
and then back away slowly.

H. R. Hofmann