Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 and Dickson Toolpost

To counteract the slow rotation of the toolpost while doing cutoffs, a
machined a 1018 steel plate to go between the 5914 tool post slide (on
the cross slide) and the Dickson toolpost. The plate has a ridge on the
bottom, the ridge being a slip fit into the T-slot on the cross slide,
and two holes. One hole is clearance for the 5/18-18 rod that bolts the
toolpost to the cross slide, the other accepting the anti-rotation index
pin.

This pretty well solved the rotation problem, and revealed another
problem: When cutting off, the whole toolpost assembly tilted to the
left. It turned out that the gibs were not tight, especially the
cross-slide gib. Took the cross slide off the carriage, cleaned
everything, and adjusted the gib.

Then, I could no longer install the cast iron screw cover that protects
the cross-slide nut and screw from swarf. The problem is that with
wear, the gib goes deeper than originally needed, so the rear gib
adjustment screw sticks out and interferes with the cover. So, I milled
a pocket out of the cover sidewall to accommodate the gib screw.

Now, the rocking under cutting loads is mostly gone.

Cutoffs with a Rube Goldberg setup is turning into something of an acid
test, and each fix yields a distinct improvement.

Next up is the tool post slide assembly. I was not able to adjust the
gib screws; don't yet know why. Perhaps something is bottomed.

Also on the list is to make the 1.25" diameter center pivot sleeve that
goes over the 5/8-18 threaded rod and between the ridged plate and the
toolpost, to better locate the toolpost. Right now there is only the
threaded rod, which the toolpost fits loosely. Also needed is to
machine a recess in the ridged plate to accept the pivot.

As I work, I see more and more of how things were supposed to be, versus
how they now are.

Joe Gwinn