Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl axolotl is offline

Default Engine repair (?) mystery

The patient is a Homelite generator with an 8hp Briggs engine. From the
number of repair shop stickers on it, one would guess that it had been
professionally maintained. I removed the carburetor to clean it, and
discovered that the choke had been disabled by cutting off the lever
arm, center punching the shaft to deform metal to fix the choke in the
open position, and filing the shaft flush with the carbruetor body. The
remaining shaft on the lever arm was also filed flat, and the tension
screw on the arm was used to attach the lever arm to the carb body to
give the appearance of the choke being operational. The workmanship on
what was done is good. But why would anyone do it? There would be many
other ways to lock the choke open without sawing anything.

All I can imagine is an old guy putting it back together saying "this'll
make em scratch their heads".

I'm down to to the basement to make up a choke extention.

Kevin Gallimore