Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony 36" TV with impure lower-right corner

"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .

I'm guessing--and it's only a guess--that you did, indeed, damage
the aperture grille... Deformed would be more accurate. The fact
that a permanent magnet in proximity to the CRT temporarily
"fixed" it is both a clue and a path to a fix of sorts.

I'm thinking that the field from the magnet pulled the grill back into
shape--and that the effect should be repeatable. Although it's not
really a cure, leaving a magnet in proximity to your TV is preferable
to watching a splotch...

Agreed. I've put up with it for a few years, so there's no need to fix it
immediately. I'll start looking for a magnetron magnet.

And I might just call Sony and ask their opinion. (Hah!) In fact, as the set
came from Magnolia, I just might stop by (when I get a car!) and ask.