Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Default grinding KSS-240a laser assembly

wrote:
My Sega CD, which uses the KSS-240a laser assembly, makes a spine
chilling sound when it gets warm.. I believe it to be a cogwheel is
expanding when it warms up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U55FF7NLgn4

Any ideas on how to actually fix this? The system gets no hotter than
it normally does...

Hello,

One other thought that others have not mentioned. I've seen a failure
of the clock circuit being fed to the mechanism fail and cause the laser
sled to go flying to the outside if the disc and the sled drive will
keep going. If left in this condition, it will actually grind the rack
on the laser to bits.

I've never had one that was intermittent, but if the clock was
beginning to fail, I guess it might do it for a short burst. If this is
the case, then the sled is likely to be at the extreme outside edge of
the disc.

The machine that I've seen this on it the Arcam Alpha 8, and the Alpha
8SE CD players. A surface mount transistor on the DAC board clock
circuit was running to hot and would fail. When it did, the sled drive
would force the laser to the extreme outside and make a horrible
ratcheting noise. There was a production change to prevent this. I've NO
IDEA if this is possible on your Sega player.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics