Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Sony 32" TV with colored upper corners

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Meat Plow wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:12:29 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Heh I've used a Weller 140 watt gun to degauss.

I wound my own degaussing coils about 40 years ago. You could see
the
CRT flicker at 20 feet when it was tuned on, and turned to face the
CRT. I make a bunch of them and sold all but one of them. They had 20
foot power cords and a heavy duty industrial chrome push button so you
didn't accidentally leave it turned on. I still have the one. they
were made with surplus 17 AWG DE/DC magnet wire. They were wound on a
plywood jig, then tied off and covered with two layers of 3M #66
electrical tape. The switch was mounted on a curved aluminum plate,
wired to the coil and cord, then the plate was over wrapped with more
tape.

Wow I bet those kicked some ass. I bought one in the mid 70's from a
friend who did RCA repair. It was one of the good old ones and I still
own
it although I haven't used it in some time.

I use a degaussing coil I salvaged from a junk TV and put a power cord on.
It gets hot in a hurry, two in series and attached together would probably
be a better idea. You can bundle them into a more compact circle than they
were originally.