Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Lou Lou is offline

Default DIY liquid chlorinator

"Anthony" wrote in message
I live in Texas where septic systems are pretty well governed. They
require that the aerator systems be adequately chlorinated... which I
am grateful I don't have to smell my neighbors discharge. However, I
am becoming annoyed at spending $180+ every year for chlorine tablets
when I understand liquid bleach dispensers are also allowed by law.
However, these dispensers typically run $300 and look like PVC pipes I
could get from my local home supply stores. I want to try and do it
myself and save the $300 equipment/installation cost and start using
household bleach.

Could be much worse, around here being connected to the public sewer system
costs twice what you're paying for tablets, maybe more.

Question 1) Can anyone point me to plans how to build my own?
Question 2) From my research, it appears ~1 gallon/month is the
typical bleach usage. Does this sound correct to people who already
use/know about bleach dispensers?
Question 3) Absent any plans, and believing the usage is ~1 gallon/
month, I believe I could cap a PVC pipe to hold some bleach and
integrate an IV drip dispenser. According to my math (which I won't
go into here unless requested), I figure I can set the IV drip on a 60
drop/ml to 1 drop every 11.4 seconds to dispense ~1 gallon of bleach/
month. By placing this dispenser between my two tanks (where I
currently drop the chlorine tablets) I expect I would achieve
approximately the same mixing effect as I do with tablets. The end
effect of this is for $20 I could build my dispenser and start using
household bleach saving an additional $150+ each year.

I don't have any kind of picture of what you're driving at, but a few
questions pop to mind.

Is this stuff located outside? What do you do about freezing? And will a
gallon of bleach in this thing hold onto the chlorine or will the chlorine
evaporate off, leaving you carefully dripping water into your system. And
lastly, since you say septic systems are pretty well governed, what are the
legal requirements? Would doing something like this mean you are installing
a proprietary treatment system that needs to be tested and licensed? Will
something like this require you to have a maintenance contract, or get
training from a licensed installer?

I thought there were exacting requirements for what the chlorine does -
something like kill 99% of bacteria in the effluent within a stated period
of time. It's a bit of a stretch to think that a drop of bleach every 11
seconds will do that.