Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Default Recipricating saw or angle grinder to cut cement board?

Jeff wrote:
This looks like it would be perfect for your requirement.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr... 1202409631042

However a brief, very brief, net search didn't find a U.S. counterpart. The
customer reviews also indicate it isn't very powerful so might not cut
through your walls anyway. You may have better luck finding an alternate
brand with more power locally.

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 11:09 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I am remodeling this 35 year old house and throughout the house the walls
are made of a double layer of gypsum board as the layer underneath and a
layer of plaster / cement material on top. Total thickness is about 3/4".

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010626.jpg

This presents a problem in matching new wall with existing. If I use the
standard 3/8" or 1/2" wall board it will not match. I could use them in
areas where I torn down the entire wall from end to end, but in other
areas
I have to match the existing thickness. I guess I have three options:

(1) Use one layer of 3/4" sheetrock and try to match it, or
(2) Use two layers of 3/8" sheetrock, or
(3) Furr out wall a bit to use one layer 3/8" wall board

Not sure which one is the most convenient and economical.
There is no 3/4" sheetrock, only 5/8". I would think using 2 3/8"
sheetrock would be easiest.

I might either use 2 3/8" or may be fur out the wall a bit more with 3/8"
furring strips. May be furring strips will work out better.

Also, electricians, plumbers, window installers have worked on the house
and
there are numerous places I need to make a patch but the patching is
impossible since the cuts are done in an irregular fashion. See pic:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010625.jpg

I try to cut them on a straight line and it's hopeless. Can't use a
recipricating saw because of the concrete layer underneath. Tried a angle
grinder and there were so much dust I could not stand it. Any advise?
Use a circulating saw and adjust the thickness to 3/4". There will be
dust but it will get the job done quickly. Try wetting down the area a
bit or have a buddy hold a shop vac close to the cutting to minimize
dust.

Thanks, It's hard using circular saw moving up and down with that weight.
I wish there is a laser beam cutting tool.

Ooooh, that's nice - I'll pop over to Can Tire and buy one for the op and
ship it to them for my cost only...