Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Wiring Question Regarding AWG Gage ?

On Feb 8, 2:24�pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

. ..

Hello,

I read somewhere recently that the (new) National Electrical Code mandates
NM WG 12 gage for all
new indoor house wiring. �Was always 14 gage in the past, of course.

Is it true that it is now AWG 12 for "everything" indoors to be Code
compliant ?

20 amp circuits have been required for kitchen countertop receptacles for
quite a while now. �I haven't seen anything about the whole house in the new
book, but I have yet to take my mandated code update class yet. �NJ hasn't
adopted the 2008 NEC yet, but I am wondering if they will include 406.11
which requires tamper resistant receptacles. �They keep leaving out the
requirement for AFCI breakers.

If you are planning to do some wiring, after you pull the permit it would be
a good idea to have a brief meeting with the electrical inspector and get
the facts from the person who has the power to pass or fail your project.
Every jurisdiction can have different requirements regardless of what the
NEC states.

if in doubt run 12 gauge, true its harder to work with, and costs
more, but you only install it once, but use it for a lifetime.

I have a lights only circuit rain 12 gauge, but put it on 15 amp
breaker, larger breaker had no advantages