Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony 36" TV with impure lower-right corner

On Feb 8, 12:33*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Borrow a degausser and give it a try.

No offense, but why should a degausser work, when a bulk tape eraser with
the power to handle metal-particle tape doesn't? You have to stand about 8'
from the set before the bulk eraser's effect is no longer visible.

William:

The inductive kick when the eraser was shut off is quite large. If
you bring the bulk eraser to the same location as before, can you see
any effect on the picture? If you can, try turning it on and move it
slowly away to several feet before shutting off.

I would take a very strong magnet, such as from an old magnetron,
bring it near to the tv, in the same place as the eraser was when you
shut it off, and then rotate the magnet rapidly wile slowly moving it
away from the tv. It effectively reverses the magnetism back and
forth while slowly reducing the strength. That will clear many
problems in my experience. I have a dozen old magnets from scrapped
uwave ovens, they are about the strongest I can find except for
magnets from very large loudspeakers and are so strong you don't want
your finger between two of them.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann