jim rozen

Default can't pass up usefull trash

In article , Gunner says...

On 11 Jul 2004 15:19:16 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

Priorities, priorities. Rather than mow the lawn, my daughter
and I spend time both days this weekend with our new toys at
the rifle range. A good time was had by all.

Jim

Which one did you like the best, and which one shot the best. The
lever gun or the bolt?

Damn it's a toss-up all things concerned. The marlin 880 was a
*lot* less expensive than the winchester 9422 - but it (the
marlin) has a really nice feel. The fiberglass stock seems
cheesy but makes the gun light and easy to shoot for a long
time without fatigue. The small magazines are easy to load
and so far the gun has not jammed once - this after probably
500 rounds have been put through it.

As far as accuracy goes, I have not had a chance to check it
much. I've left it to my daughter and the best I can say is
that today she had everything well inside the six inch black
circle at 25 yards - but I've not had a chance to check to
see what condition the sights are. I was told to "leave them
alone" so she may be compensating for them being a bit off.

The winchester's sights were quite off - it was shooting nice
tight groups at 25 yards, about six inches to the left, yesterday.
Last night I tweaked the sights a bit and today all my shots were
in the smaller third of the black at 25 yards, shooting standing.
That gun is very repeatable and also cycles reliably.
I can shoot faster with it than with the marlin (I *did*
get a chance to fire one magazine today) because I don't have
to reach over the top to work the bolt.

Next time I will go with a 50 yard target (those are the options
at this range, 25 or 50) and see how well they both do. There
were some plinking targets (steel plates on chains) that I was
hitting pretty reliably at 50 yards though. There was a guy there
with his GF, shooting a similar marlin 880 in .22 magnum, with
a scope. He was having trouble hitting them every time, I was
making them *dink* nearly each time with the winchester. I think
he was peeved.

I really cannot see how the winchester's sights were *so* far
off. And they had not been dinged by accident, the rear sight
(the adjustable one) was a tight, tight fit in the dovetail. So
tight that I had to switch to the 'bigger' hammer to tap them
over with a brass drift. I wonder what the former owner was
doing with the gun.

But it is nice, now when ms Mulligan gets back on her feet we can
all go shooting, and not have to take turns.

Good luck with finding 39 parts - I inspected one of those closely,
that ran a close second to the 9422. Nice gun.

Jim

please reply to: