Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Trip characteristics of a type 2 MCB

Andy Wade wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

The new place has two downstairs lighting circuits, the most heavily
loaded of which (about 1050w by my quick count) [...]

1050 W, but how many VA? I.e. is there enough low-power-factor
discharge lighting in there to make the RMS current significantly higher
than you're perhaps expecting? Bear in mind that the standard guidance
is to assume Ib = 1.8 * power/Uo in the absence of more specific info.

All incandescent (bar one linear strip light in a utility room - but
that is on the other circuit) - lots of quite elaborate multi lamp
fittings with candle bulbs in them.

Rather than spread the load between the two circuits they seem to have
filled one to capacity and then left the other mostly unloaded. When I
have worked out how to get at the wiring I will see if there is scope to
rebalance things a bit (or perhaps upgrade the big circuit to 10A (no
small lamp fittings fortunately))
--
Cheers,

John.