Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Recycling thought

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:30:06 +0000 someone who may be DM
wrote this:-

Those who see no reason not to lob everything in a giant wheelie bin
should consider the little film at
http://www.foe-scotland.org.uk/resources/minisites/landfill to see
what happens to it.

That doesn't really tell you anything about what happens to it.

Incorrect.

In what way,

It shows rubbish being spread in a big hole by large machines.

did you watch something different?

No. However, I have seen it in the higher quality of a DVD on a
full screen. I suspect some of the details are not as clear on
Internet.

It is far better to reduce the volume of waste than put a green fig
leaf on it.

Where there is waste then it is better to use it efficiently,

The first four of your words are the important bit. It is far more
efficient for there to be less waste to do something with than try
and bolt a green fig leaf on the end.

methane generation form waste is a good usage.

Not if it is an example of the tail wagging the dog.

In fact most landfill sites show remarkably good usage of resources.

1. quarry an area - good business
2. charge people to dump waste in your hole - good business
3. generate electricity from that waste - good business

Good business for the quarry owner and operator. Not necessarily
good business for broader society.

overall a very efficient use of resources

If waste can be created and transported to the site without using
energy.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh