Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Recycling thought

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
How much energy is saved by the recycling efforts of the average 3
bed household on a weekly basis?

The reason I ask is that we have to wash every tin, bottle and bit of
plastic that we have to recycle and I'm thinking that we're using
more hot water now than we used to and that water is heated with gas
and/or electricity...

Si

Can't you wash them in cold water?

Mary

Most things, yes, but even that "costs" energy that wouldn't be otherwise
used. I'm not saying recycling's not a good idea but is it doing any good
or is the work required in doing it actually outweighing the benefits?

Si

Your work?

:-)

I was thinking about your original post during my wallow (we had a clear day
yesterday so a lot of hot water).

I tried to think what we do with tins, bottles and bits of plastic. I had to
think hard.

We very rarely have tins, they rinse easily with one small swish of cold
water. The tins I pick up in the street go straight into our green bin, I
admit that I don't wash those. Most are already squashed.

We have plastic milk bottles, I rinse them, again with a swish of cold
water. We have no other plastic bottles, glass goes in the crate outside to
be taken to the bottle bank when we're going near one. We don't wash them.

Bits of plastic?

I was saddened when Spouse bought some organic cream at M&S at Christmas and
saw that the tub wasn't recyclable. Heavens! What's their thinking?

Mary