Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Recycling thought

"Tim Southerwood" wrote in message
Mary Fisher coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Doki" wrote in message

Glass isn't particularly green - containers are relatively bulky and
heavy, meaning you could get more into plastic containers, and save on
transport costs. Even if the plastic doesn't biodegrade, it is at least
small...

Wine is beginning to be bottled in plastic. It's the future.

Mary

I know what the future is: returnable glass bottles with a deposit.
It worked in 1970 and it can work now, if someone can kick the industry up
the backside to (re)organise it.

You must be very young, we were doing that in the 1940s, and probably since
stoneware bottles were used come to think of it.

There is no reason a well made glass bottle needs to be considered single
use.

Indeed there isn't, but I suspect that most shoppers wouldn't choose to have
a scratched wine bottle. You can't help scratches on glass over several
uses.

Think about it:

Retailer sells bottle plus product.

Customer consumes product.

a) Customer returns bottle on next visit (they almost do this now, with
many
glass recycling facilities being located in supermarket car parks)

Yebbut in your case, to reclaim the deposit, more staff or time would be
needed. I'm not saying it's a bad scheme, just that I doubt it would work as
well as you and I would like.

I honestly don't know what's so difficult about that, apart from someone
actually needs to organise it.

How about volunteering?

No glass needs to be melted,

Some would, because of breakages.

major legs of the return transport are just
using spare capacity. Very energy efficient I would have though.

More energy efficient to use lightweight plastic bottles, the weight of
glass is responsible for a lot of fossil fuel use.

Mary