Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arjan Arjan is offline

Default Sony 32" TV with colored upper corners

On 7 feb, 22:12, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

Heh I've used a Weller 140 watt gun to degauss.

* *I wound my own degaussing coils about 40 years ago. You could see the
CRT flicker at 20 feet when it was tuned on, and turned to face the
CRT. *I make a bunch of them and sold all but one of them. They had 20
foot power cords and a heavy duty industrial chrome push button *so you
didn't accidentally leave it turned on. *I still have the one. *they
were made with surplus 17 AWG DE/DC magnet wire. *They were wound on a
plywood jig, then tied off and covered with two layers of 3M #66
electrical tape. *The switch was mounted on a curved aluminum plate,
wired to the coil and cord, then the plate was over wrapped with more
tape.

I cannot imagine that the CRT is so magnetized.....
The TV did not have this problems when it still was at the owner where
I got this TV set from...
I only dismounted it and cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner, because it
was very dirty and dusty inside.
The original problem was that vertical black and white bars were
visible in the picture, even without input signal.
This was caused by a bad capacitor in the power supply line of the
video amp.
But after replacing of the cap it turned out that the corners of the
picture where colored....
Can it be a loose contact somewhere from a coil?
I checked all the plugs and they are all fitted OK.
It was maybe a good idea to turn the set on before dismounting....
Transportation went without problems, the set was not put down very
hard.
I moved the set around the room, but the color spots are still
there.....