Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default PC problem

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got a home assembled PC based around an Asus motherboard. Which shuts
off at random. Not a controlled shut down - it just dies. Thinking PS
problems I've replaced it. Same thing. Sometimes it will boot up ok and
continue for as long as I want. Sometimes it switches off half way through
the boot sequence - but never at the same time. Any guesses? I've got AVG
free installed and that shuts it down after doing its tests. That sequence
always works ok.

This is slightly less usual than one that reboots at random. The dodgy
cap problem I have seen many times - but this is often a random reboot
cause.

Overheating processor is often a reboot or more likely a lockup or blue
screen.

Dodgy reset circuitry is a possibility - but only slim.

I would suggest downloading a copy of the "ultimate boot CD" iso image
and booting from that. Then leave memtest 86 running for a good few
hours and see what happens.

If that is ok then grab a copy of Prime95, and leave it running the
torture test - that is very good at shaking out subtle memory and
processor timing issues and faults.

Check your power saving options as well - make sure you have not got
some unusual trigger set up for powering the machine off.

--
Cheers,

John.