Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC problem

In article ,
geoff wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article , Rob
wrote:
Just disable suspect software, and/or try to replicate the fault in
safe mode (F7 on boot IIRC).

Happens in safe mode too. Should have mentioned that.

PCs are basically a few components - you have to work through and
isolate. My guess from what you say would be MB on a new PC - the
trickiest component to test alas.

I've fairly extensive experience of electronic faults but this one
doesn't follow the norm.

pop over here with it, we can fart around swapping bits over, chuck
another HD in etc, get my free pint(s) by eliminating the capacitors as
being the problem,

Thanks for the offer. I haven't yet eliminated the simple things like
removing all non essential hardware - of which there's a lot. But if I get
stuck I'll hold you to that. ;-)

a process of elimination, which is much easier when you have everything
to hand

Yup. Of course it's been rock solid since I first posted. Left it on for
24 hours too.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.