Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Knob and Tube BETA-33

wrote:
On Feb 7, 4:31 am, bud-- wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:01�pm, bud-- wrote:
wrote:
definetely never insulate anywhere near it, thats a real fire risk
The only links I remember on K&T (originally posted by Phil Munro) a
http://www.waptac.org/sp.asp?id=7190
is a report to the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs
on adding building insulation around existing K&T wiring. No record of
hazard was found in the large number of K&T installations that had
insulation added around them. (Larry Seekon, whose comments are quoted
was head electrical inspector in Minneapolis.)
http://web.archive.org/web/200408250...ine.gov/pfr/in...
� orhttp://tinyurl.com/297uk7
is the record of a complaint to the Maine state Bureau of Insurance by a
homeowner against an insurance company. The insurance company denied
renewal of a policy based on K&T wiring. The insurance company was
ordered to renew the policy because the insurance company "provided no
justification for its position that knob and tube wiring per se
automatically provides grounds for nonrenewal".
Where are your links that show a hazard of K&T wiring in contact with
insulation? The Illinois investigation couldn't find a hazard but you
must have better information than Illinois had.
Where are your links that show the fire hazard of K&T wiring? The
insurance company in Maine couldn't produce evidence of a hazard, but
you must have better information than the insurance company had.
I eagerly await your reply.
well heres the real world discussion of K&T
http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?...f08fc1bbc8d401...
why does no one follow the link I poted earlier, or even the
discussion of a bunch of people reporting real worlds experiences on
this topic

Repeating:
Where are your links that show a hazard of K&T wiring in contact with
insulation?
Where are your links that show the fire hazard of K&T wiring?

I looked at a few links and didn't find either. Just some opinions based
on who knows what.

Where is insurance actuarial data on fires caused by K&T. The insurance
company in Maine didn't produce any.

IMHO insurance limitations on K&T are just the latest form of redlining.

Why are electricians on this newsgroup far less paranoid about K&T than
you are?

--
bud--

it would be interesting to try to hire the electricians here to
inspect K&T.

exactly how does someone inspect something they cant see?

a bad solder joint could be about to start a fire but be invisible
buried behind plaster wall........ the electrician could be on the
hook for fire costs, having said it was safe.

More FUD. Where is your data on fires started by K&T.

my big issue with K&T is the lack of boxes, and underpowering.

There may or may not be boxes. I presume underpowering means not enough
outlets.

typically K&T had one outlet per bedroom. today that leads to tons of
extension cords, and they are a definite hazard. I have seen some real
hack jobs with extension cords in such rooms......

Not enough outlets is not unique to K&T. If there are not enough outlets
add more.

Still missing: