Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Architural Metalworking

Tell me about the prices!! SWMBO has been on a tear to get some fixtures
for her office. Right now it's back to a bare twisty florescent bulb,
the last 3 fixtures were "not quite right"!!!

The electrical parts are easy to get. Everything is standardized on 1/8"
pipe size fittings. Things like candelabra sized sockets, twin standard
sockets, finals, ceiling rings, hooks, etc. The larger floor torchiere's
use 1/4" pipe. Basic stock for these items can be had at the local home
store, augmented stock from the hole in the wall lighting stores. There
are a fair number of on-line parts suppliers. Here's one (of many)
http://www.chandelierparts.com/index.html

The arms and such are small diameter steel tube, steel rod, and steel
strap. Standard forming operations, the decreasing radius pieces are
fun, doing it with tube is even more fun. Assemble with brazing, it
flows out much nicer than weld.

Finish coat is a problem for me: flat white (modern) and flat black (the
wrought iron look) are not an issue. But getting the pseudo antique
patina look is a bummer.

I have another fixture in the hallway that came from Home Depot. The
original item had a lovely ablaster shade and a hideous shape and color
of support. It was a closeout, they marked it down another 15% for no
box, came with a couple of florescent twisty bulbs. I cut the support
arms off, bent them so they were hidden but still useful, mounted it up.
It passed inspection with no comments so it must be good. And 1/6
the cost of the first one she tried in that spot.

ED wrote:

I'm in the market for some new light fixtures and while shopping
around I was floored by the asking price for these objects de art.
It..really doesn't look all that hard to diy. Arts/crafts,
blacksmithed kind things is what I have in mind. I have
welding, machinng skills/tools, and always looking for
any excuse to get a new tool...

Something like this would make my wify very very appreciative..:-)

http://www.vtforge.com/Products/Cata...age116_117.htm
Lists @ $1K-ish

Looking for any references or tips, sources for parts, materials ED