Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Knob and Tube BETA-33

Terry wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:29:33 -0600, bud--
wrote:

Terry wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:40:53 -0600, bud--
wrote:

So what you are saying is he could have this: (The "Lazy Susan"
switching arrangement)

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ebs4ck.jpg
Yup. The continuity measurements fit that circuit assuming all wires
read a few ohms max.

Lets say we have enough information to say that this is the switching
arrangement he has. (finding continuity from one of the travelers to
neutral would verify this) Should he try to repair it?

Having a 3-way switching arrangement like this causes the screw shell
of the light fixture to be hot in two of the 4 positions. (even with
the lamp off)

.
What grounded surfaces are there near the screwshell?

I think the only acceptable fix would be to find the splices in the
travelers and disconnect them. Then run a new hot and neutral to the
light and make a proper 3-way connection.

If you find the splices, you have probably found the bad connection. The
way I read your post you want to make the K&T circuit a 'proper' 3-way.

The
circuit could also be rewired with Romex as several have suggested.

I am really just beating a dead horse now. The suggestion to replace
it is, of course, the best solution.

From what I have read in the last couple of days, you can repair an
existing K&T circuit if it met the code requirements at the time. So
if BETA had a "proper" 3-way switching arrangement and a broken hot
wire, the way I see it, he could just butt splice a new piece of wire
in it's place. You can still use K&T to repair K&T.

Problems are likely to be at soldered joints. I have seen 2 failed
solder joints (one in K&T) - both were "cold joints" - defective when made.

I don't think the switching arrangement we are assuming BETA has was
ever code compliant so it would not be legal to repair it.

I have seen the Carter circuit a couple of times and it seems to come up
occasionally on this newsgroup. I suspect it was once compliant, but I
don't know. Wiring practice has changed a lot. No one has ever said
definitively it was or wasn't once compliant. Anyone know any really old
electricians?

--
bud--