Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Knob and Tube BETA-33/ i read some of those AOL links

On Feb 6, 10:27�pm, wrote:
In article ,
says...

Ok, so i've read the first 10 links on the AOL search you linked me to.
Only ONE (1) sited an insurance company by name. �The rest only speculated
that "some" insurance companies "may" refuse coverage on K&T. �One other
link stated a state farm user that wasn't questioned about the wiring. �So,
i guess there's still no documented proof that "insurance companies deny
coverage on K&T wired homes". �

Not all insurance companies deny coverage to all K&T wiring, but many
insurance companies do prohibit all K&T wiring. �It's more commonly
prohibited in newer areas where only a small fraction of the housing
suppy is old enough to have K&T.

Underwriting guides are generally confidential company documents, you
probably won't find them posted on line, and I'm certainly not about to
violate any contracts by posting excerpts, but I assure you, they do
exist, and many insurance companies really do prohibit insuring homes
with K&T wiring, enough that it has become a serious problem in some
markets.

On the other hand, many insurance companies rely on agents to report
whether a house has K&T or other prohibited conditions, and if the post-
insurance inspection doesn't catch it, a house with K&T can get insured
despite the prohibitions. �

Once it's insured, the policy generally won't have an exclusion for
damage caused by K&T wiring, it's an underwriting issue, not a coverage
issue.

DISCLAIMER: I am not your insurance agent.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

hey thanks!!!

do you agree insurance companies are more pickey today about home
condition?

like poor sidewalk trip hazards, bad roofs, rotted porches, lack of
railings on public steps leading to homes.

if i were a insurance company i wouldnt want to insure something that
was a obvious hazard.

thats akin to insuring a repeat DUI driver. if they get coverage it
naturally costs a lot more