Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Receiver has a hum - Harmon Kardon 230A

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Well, a matter of semantics here. This problem is obviously
not an input cabling problem, as it is not confined to one input.

Well, you could have a ground loop problem with the cable TV system, but
that's not the sort of thing that would _suddenly_ show up.

By the way, if you have such a problem, you can get rid of it by
connecting
two true baluns back-to-back and inserting them in the cable line. There
are
speciality isolation transformers for this problem, but they're pricey,
and
all you gain is a bit less insertion loss.

When I say "front end", I am referring to anything "North" of the volume
control, which in an amp of this age, is a mechanical control located
between the 'front end' which includes all the preamp, input selection
and tone control sections, and the power amps.

Is that true? I haven't looked at any schematics recently, but my memory
is
that volume controls are not always at the "end" of the input chain.

Pretty much all the ones I've seen, that's the 'standard' arrangement.

Arfa