Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

Default Sony 32" TV with colored upper corners

Suggest getting the SONY Service literature for the item and then attempt
both purity and registration setup. Confirm the arpeture grill assembly is
not loose, lightly tapping on the screen while displaying a solid colour.
Appropiate positioning of the convergence yoke including spacing wedges
will resolve most of the purity issues, spot magnets properly installed
will clear up the corners.
Once purity is considered proper then you can attempt the convergence,
pincushion, keystone, etc. Be advised, there is no quick dirty fix to the
problem. Attemping to degauss the crt with external means can actually
permantly damage the arpeture grill assembly rendering the crt not
repairable, Per SONY DATUM!

Correct adjustments can take up to two hours for even trained professionals.
"Colin McCormick" wrote in message
Arjan

I've had this problem with Sony sets having bad purity on
the lower left corner. Moving the set around the room to
realign relative to the Earth's magnetic field only helped
a little. Yes, in this case, it was the tube, it had to
be replaced.

Colin

Arjan wrote:
On 6 feb, 17:26, Arjan wrote:
Hi,

I got a TV from somebody, a Sony KV-32WS3D (chassis AE-3)
The upper corners are very colored, see this picture from a teletext
page which should only contain the colors white and
blue:http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6980/dsc03030pg9.jpg

I checked the degauss coils: OK, PTC also OK, the degauss sound can be
heard when the unit is switched on
The deflection yoke was a little bit loose, when I moved it on the
neck of the CRT the colors on the screen are changing but I cannot
get the right colors in the upper corners, in every position of the
yoke, very strange....
There are no magnets from e.g. speakers in the neighbourhood.
The support rubbers for the yoke are still in place except one. But in
every position of the yoke there are colored upper corners....

There are more coils around the CRT: rotation coil. After
disconnecting this one, still bad colors
Another coil is connected to a small PCB at the right side of the
chassis.
Near the connector I read: CY+ and CY- Is this a convergence coil?

Convergence is still OK, only that colored corners...
(oh yes, sometimes several channels are not showing picture, only snow
or a snowy picture)
After a while the picture comes back. I think a bad contact inside the
tuner....)

I cannot believe there is something wrong with the CRT itself.....

Regards,

Arjan

correct link to the pictu
http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03030pg9.jpg