Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Electrical again-Ceiling fixtures

Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a recessed fixture I'd like to convert to a surface mount fixture.

1. I'd remove the bulb and screw in a plug adaptor into the socket. Then
(power's off of course) plug in the male end of a extension cord, cut to
about 6 inches with the two ends stripped. Attach these two ends to the
leads for the fixture, keeping polarity. Then attach the fixture to the
ceiling and Bob's my uncle.

Anything wrong with this? I'd like to avoid removing the recessed fixture
and doing the work that entails.

If that's no good, how about

2. Power off. I remove the adjustable part of the can, with the socket
and disconnect the power wires from the socket. I use these wires to
connect with the leads from the surface mount fixture and then proceed as
in 1. Can the recessed fixture act as a jct box with no other
modification?

why not remove the can light and then replace it with a ceiling box and
fan support? Those can be installed through a hole in the ceiling
little bigger than the box itself, and will provide a 100% proper
installation.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.