Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Pesky birds are trying to get into my house

On Feb 6, 12:18 pm, "odyssey" wrote:
Thats the kind of thing that I'm interested in. Gettin some today ! Anymore
ideas like that.

Thanks

Fake owls have been known to disquade woodpeckers.

Stolen without permission from:

http://www.theraptortrust.org/the-birds/coping

Possible Solutions
Christopher Leahy, in The Birdwatcher's Companion, suggests as a
possible solution (after first checking to see that your house is
termite-free) harassing the offending bird-scaring it off by spraying
it with a hose (an action that will work if repeated enough). Leahy
says intimidation won't work as a solution, but several of our
respondents say that they have successfully distracted offenders,
hanging fear-evoking things near the damage sites-fake snakes, plastic
owls, hawk silhouettes, etc.-to discourage the woodpeckers. One person
recommends hanging out wind chimes. Another uses a radio (encased in a
plastic bag) with a timer set to go on at daybreak. One woman hung up
a red plastic toy bug on a string to discourage a downy determined to
nest in a hollow column in her 144 year old house. A desperate
homeowner cut his garden hose into snake-sized lengths. Another bangs
on the inside wall whenever woodpecking begins: several days of this
allegedly deter the bird.Kathy McCraken, of Bird Watcher's Digest
contributing editor and author from Corpus Christi, Texas, wrote us
about a home owner who solved his flicker problem by painting his
walls. "I have never heard of a flicker's drilling in painted walls-
only bare cedar," she says. Another person placed a duck-sized
birdhouse near her embattled wall, which the offending flicker
promptly accepted. Still another reader caulks the tiny cracks in
which insects hide in board and batten siding.