Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default More about kitchen venting hoods

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:28:00 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

EXT wrote:
NuTone/Broan make exhaust fan and motor that fit on the roof to allow a
larger power unit and quieter operation, I have had one for many years and
they work great for our type of cooking.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Una" wrote in message

Anticipating a new roof in the near future, we've been looking into
also adding a venting hood over the range oven combo. The range is
on an inside wall and has a basic residential grease trap "hood".
We like high-temperature stir frys, deep frys, and (ultra messy)
fried onion and chili pastes.

In another thread someone mentioned a downdraft venting range. Do
they really work? That might be a good solution, venting down and
under the kitchen floor (in a crawlspace ... except there is some
ductwork there already)) and out the wall near ground level. The
other option is a standard vent, up through a cabinet, crawlspace,
and roof.

Someone here mentioned venting a hood down under the floor; how is
that done? Where would the vent pipe go?

Is it necessary to have the fan at the intake point, or can it be
installed somewhere inline or at the exit to the outside?

I had customers a while back who had a cooking style similar to yours.
They had just remodeled their entire kitchen and the type of hood exhaust
fan that they got was for "Chinese kitchens" I don't remember the brand,
but they told me it worked very well for their lifestyle.

Commercial kitchens usually have the exhaust fan outside or on the roof,
but the type of fan that they use may be too powerful and unattractive for
residential use.

Hi,
If you do that kind of cooking, then go to a restaurant supply outfit.
They have stainless hood and fan for commercial use at various size.
Pick one and do it right first time and forget. Most Chinese folks
have this kinda set up in their kitchen.

Yeah, and be prepared to shell out $1000 for a used one.