Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default heat pump -elect coils

Hi Chris,

A PDF copy of my preliminary analysis is available at the links listed
below:

Fujitsu 12RLQ - Low Demand
http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=21b480ca

Fujitsu 12RLQ - High Demand
http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=a6f0df15

Fujitsu 15RLQ - Low Demand
http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=8fba1992

Fujitsu 15RLQ - High Demand
http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=8a8b84fe

Keep in mind, these numbers are somewhat pessimistic in that supply
and demand must be perfectly matched for each hour of every day and if
the heat pump cannot supply the entire load in any given hour, the
backup baseboard heaters carry the rest. In reality, your home
probably has sufficient thermal mass to ride out many of the minor
fluctuations in hourly output and thus the need for backup heat
wouldn't be quite as great as what we show here.

In addition, we assume a constant temperature must be maintained at
all times and you can minimize some of the variations in night time
versus daytime performance through temperature set back (i.e., let the
temperature in your home drift downward overnight when the relative
performance of your heat pump is diminished due to colder night time
temperatures). Likewise, if you keep your heat pump set at 21C, say,
and your backup baseboard heaters at 18C, you can further enhance your
heat pump's overall contribution, especially during the milder times
of the year.

I tend to push things a little further in that I often boost daytime
temperatures a little higher than normal to take advantage of the heat
pump's better performance during the warmest part of the day (during
the shoulder seasons in particular, the spread between daytime and
night time temperatures can be fairly substantial). I also closely
monitor the weather forecast and if temperatures are expected to fall
in the coming days, I run my heat pump flat out and bank as much
excess heat as possible (within the bounds of comfort); this surplus
heat is then used to "ride out" any deficit in production during these
colder times. This involves a little extra effort on your part and,
again, requires your backup heat to be set a few degrees lower than
your heat pump, but the potential energy savings during times when
temperatures are bouncing all over the map can be huge.

Hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any questions or
if you'd like me to change any of the assumptions used in these
scenarios, please let me know.

Best regards,
Paul