Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Receiver has a hum - Harmon Kardon 230A

Don Bowey wrote:
On 2/5/08 6:15 PM, in article , "Arfa
Daily" wrote:

(snip)

If it is a multi-winding transformer, then I agree that there is a distinct
possibility that there may be hum just on the supply rails to the preamps.

Arfa

That wasn't my point.

My point was that even if there is a faulty DC supply common to both the
amplifier and the preamp (typical low-end), changes in the volume control
setting will still be heard as an amplitude or character sound change in the
hum from the speaker.

My issue is that--all too often--someone drops a problem in here, for
which there is a pretty standard, simple decision-tree diagnosis
process. Then we're left to dangle for days, speculating on possible
solutions, while the OP is totally silent.

Until he comes back, all is speculation.

jak