Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default Receiver has a hum - Harmon Kardon 230A

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Well, a matter of semantics here. This problem is obviously
not an input cabling problem, as it is not confined to one input.

Well, you could have a ground loop problem with the cable TV system, but
that's not the sort of thing that would _suddenly_ show up.

By the way, if you have such a problem, you can get rid of it by connecting
two true baluns back-to-back and inserting them in the cable line. There are
speciality isolation transformers for this problem, but they're pricey, and
all you gain is a bit less insertion loss.

When I say "front end", I am referring to anything "North" of the volume
control, which in an amp of this age, is a mechanical control located
between the 'front end' which includes all the preamp, input selection
and tone control sections, and the power amps.

Is that true? I haven't looked at any schematics recently, but my memory is
that volume controls are not always at the "end" of the input chain.