Posted to uk.d-i-y
whisky-dave whisky-dave is offline

Default New Light bulb on it's way.

"mark" wrote in message

The is still the very real problem that the "inventor" has yet to
integrate a thermal imaging device, together with LED technology that
will generate significant heat on the same substrate, integrate this with
a microprocessor (why not an ASIC?), develop the software, test and get
to market, for what is a very limited market. Draw in the development
costs of all that, and the true market and life of the item, and tell me
that it's commercially viable at £20 a pop?

I emailed the 'inventor' to query why not an ASIC and got back this reply:

Quote:
why don't I use a ASIC, I use a microcontroller so new software can be
downloaded to upgrade the lightbulb, into it's flash memory. ASICs are
fixed for life.

Also PIRs cannot measure precise temperature at a distance, thermopiles
can measure to an accuracy of 1 C or less

Why do they need such accuracy ?
And even so waiting for the body temperature to drop by 1C would probably
mean the person is dead by the time the bulb responds, and what then.
They'd be better oof puttingin a wireless link to an alarm.
I think these LED lights would be good in a toilet/bathroom.
I wouldn't have to find the pull cord when ****ed as I entered the bathroom,
and I might even be able to find the toilet if the light came on otherwose
I'd end up just aiming in the general direction ;-)
I've actually though about placing LEDs in teh tiolet bowl at night as
something to
aim at, but keeping them cleam is a problem, so maybe I need to mount them
in/under the bowl somehow.