Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC problem

In article ,
George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I've got a home assembled PC based around an Asus motherboard. Which
shuts off at random. Not a controlled shut down - it just dies.
Thinking PS problems I've replaced it. Same thing. Sometimes it will
boot up ok and continue for as long as I want. Sometimes it switches
off half way through the boot sequence - but never at the same time.
Any guesses? I've got AVG free installed and that shuts it down after
doing its tests. That sequence always works ok.

AVG shutting it down? never heard that one before,run AVG in safe mode
and see what it finds?

I think it is AVG - but could be Spybot. The both run once a day and after
disc activity ceases the machine shuts down. I've never been able to find
out why. It's not actually as much as problem as you might think as I use
this machine for most. Just use the PC for some browsing and handling AV
stuff.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.